Do you own a tankless water heater? You should flush it annually. Here are some basic steps. The pump and hoses will cost less than $100.
HINT :: This is much easier than you think!
What you’ll need:
- 1- submersible pump (about $75 bucks)
- 1- set of washing machine hose (about $10 – $15 bucks)
- 1- 5 gallon bucket (about $5)
- 4 gallons of White Vinegar ($2 – $3 bucks per gal)
Follow these steps:
- Check to see that you have a flush kit installed (see service valve in drawing at right).
- Start by turning off the gas (if your heater is gas).
- Make sure the unit is plugged in and is in the ON position.
- Shut off the hot and cold water.
- Open the caps on the flush kit. The kit looks like two hose bib hook ups with a small cap installed.
- Set the pump into the bucket
- Hook one of the hose from the pump to the red – inlet – side of the water heater flush kit.
- Hook one of the hose from the heater (blue) and drop into the bucket
- Open the drain valves on the flush kit
- Pour vinegar into 5 gallon bucket
- Plug-in the cord from the pump and allow to run for about an hour
- When finished:
- unplug the pump
- turn off the drain valve flush kit handle
- unhook hose and replace cap on the flush kit
- turn the water and gas to the on position.
If you have difficulty with any step call a professional plumbing contractor or contact us for help.
[Tweet “Check out this tankless water heater maintenance tip! “]